India is located in South Asia and borders with Bangladesh, Bhutan, China, Nepal and Pakistan and covers an area of 3,287,590 square kilometres. For administrative purposes, the country is divided into 28 states and 7 union territories. The country has a population of 1.2 billion and ranks 136th among all nations on the Human Development Index (HDI).
Key MNH Indicators
• Maternal Mortality Ratio: 174/100,000 live births (2015) World Bank
• Neonatal mortality rate: 29/1000 births (2012)*
• Skilled Birth Attendance: 67% (2011) WHO statistics 2015
• Contraceptive Prevalence Rate: 55% (2008) WHO statistics 2015
• Total fertility rate: 2.5 (2012) WHO statistics 2015
• Ante-Natal Care (at least one visit): 75.1% (2008) WHO Global Health Observatory data repository
* PHFI, AIIMS, and SC- State of India’s Newborns (SOIN) 2014- a report. (Eds) Zodpey S and Paul VK. Public Health Foundation of India, All India Institute of Medical Sciences and Save the Children. New Delhi, India.