The United Nations Global Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) for health is to ‘Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages’. In line with this, the vision of the Centre for Maternal and Newborn Health is to:
End preventable maternal deaths, stillbirths and early neonatal deaths and improve the health of mothers and babies in low- and middle-income countries
With successful implementation of the last strategic plan (2012-2017), CMNH’s portfolio of work has grown significantly with expansion of the research portfolio and our global reach. Our 2018-2023 strategy sets out our plans as we continue to strive to make this vision a reality for mothers and babies in low and middle-income settings.
Our Strategic Objectives
1. Grow as a global leader in implementation research for maternal and newborn health
2. Discover and develop evidence-based, scale-able methodologies and approaches to improve the availability and quality of healthcare for mothers and babies during and after pregnancy such that this meets the identified health needs of mothers and babies, and, results in a positive experience of that care.
3. Ensure that new knowledge and evidence generated is shared, used to inform policy and practice, and, informs the global agenda for maternal and newborn health.
4. Expand and develop our partnerships with governments, research institutions and global agencies to implement effective sustainable health care interventions and programmes.
5. Ensure CMNH has a ‘first class’ operating environment, and, is the ‘go to partner’ for implementation research in maternal and newborn health
A Renewed Strategic Focus
During the past five years (2012-2017) CMNH has focused on the healthcare interventions required at the time of birth when most maternal deaths, stillbirths and early neonatal deaths occur (the ‘triple return’). Whilst continuing to maintain this core focus, during the new strategic period (2018-2023) we will:
- Broaden the scope of the CMNH portfolio such that this is inclusive of the continuum of care for mother and baby throughout pregnancy, childbirth and in the postnatal period with a renewed focus on antenatal and postnatal care.
- Maintaining a strong focus on reducing preventable deaths, CMNH will expand its portfolio, to include research and programmes that will improve the health of mothers and babies, in line with the new international strategy that seeks to ensure mothers and babies ‘survive and thrive’.